Sunday, May 2, 2010

Scary Similarities...

This is an excerpt from Growing Up bin Laden, during an interview with Osama bin Laden's first wife.
"..my husband allotted much of his time to patiently explain how important it was for me to live as an obedient Muslim woman. "Najwa," Osama said "for me, you are a prized pearl who must be protected." Smiling reassuringly, he promised "Just as the hard shell of the sea protects the exquisite pearl, I will be the hard shell protecting you."


My first reaction was "That is so wrong! She is an adult, she can take care of herself, if your definition of protecting her is making her stay in the house for months at a time under a full body veil, you can get the heck out! She doesn't need to be hidden from the world because she is prized, that is BS and so screwed up!"

My second thought was... that kind of sounds like our concept of our Mother in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment